Traditional goal setting doesn’t seem to work, does it?
Most people will advise you to set S.M.A.R.T. goals, but even so, most people find they don’t end up achieving the goals they set.
Why not? Because they don’t know why they want to reach the goals they set, they have no real purpose to motivate them and they don’t have a clue what strategy they’re going to use to get there.
In this video, filmed at the Titanium Mastermind in Phuket, Thailand, JT DeBolt suggests a goal setting framework that solves these problems.
JT DeBolt’s goal setting framework is called GPS, which stands for Goal, Purpose, Strategy.
When most people sit down to set goals, they put 100% of their thought towards the specifics of the goal itself. They simply think about the number they want to reach and the deadline by which they want to reach it.
If you’ve been setting goals like this and continually failing to reach them, it’s because your goal setting framework is incomplete.
Sure, think about the specifics of your goal, but this should only account for 5% of your total thought. The other 95% should go towards the purpose and the strategy.
The purpose should account for 70% of your total thought, compared to the 5% for the goal itself.
The purpose is what motivates you to reach your goal. If you don’t know what it is, why bother doing the work to reach your goal? If it’s just a number that doesn’t mean anything, you won’t reach it.
Get crystal clear about not just what you want, but why you want it. Create a “vision board” if you need to and find pictures that represent the lifestyle you want. Surround yourself with people who remind you of your purpose.
Along with the 5% for the goal itself, and the 70% for the purpose, the final 25% of your thought should go towards the strategy.
You could set an ambitious goal, but if you don’t have a clue how you’re going to reach it, it’s just a meaningless number.
Even those who do work out a strategy do it in the wrong way. They’ll do it in the order of “how, what, why.” They’ll first decide what tactics they’re going to use before they even know why they’re doing them.
Instead, devise your strategy in the order of “why, how, what.” First identify your purpose, and then identify the tactics that align with it.
When you approach goal setting in this way, you’ll find yourself setting better goals and actually reaching them.
You can access more beginner business strategies like this one, and learn how to model the “thinking patterns” of the world’s most successful business owners and entrepreneurs, in the MOBE Silver Masterclass. To learn more about the Silver Masterclass, click HERE.